Thursday, June 10, 2010

Movies 2

Well, I wasn't going to refresh this topic so soon, but I've recently seen some real gems through my DVR so had to comment.

The Reader - This definitely makes you think, and certainly its the first time (I think) that a Nazi war criminal was portrayed in a sympathetic light. I say sympathetic only because this war criminal was so far down the food chain, as it were, that it shows how ordinary people can end up getting sucked into something they don't understand and then feel powerless to get out. Its also interesting that the lead character felt more shame by her illiteracy than her participation as a guard at a death camp. I understand the movie is based on a novel, which I may pick up to read to see if it provides further details about the thought processes of the two main characters. Why did Hanna testify as she did at the trial, admitting to everything, when her co-defendants had clearly agreed to jointly deny it all? Had Hanna followed suit, the outcome would likely have been much different, so why did she not? Why did Michael choose not to speak with Hanna and convince her to acknowledge her illiteracy, knowing the likely devastating affect her silence would have on the trial outcome? Lots of questions left unanswered.

War, Inc. - Its movies like this one (along with Grosse Pointe Blank) which make me love John (and Joan) Cusack and can forgive his schlop films like 2012 (if he has to do those kind of 'paycheck' type roles in order to produce an intelligent comedy like this, I'll accept it). While not a sequel to Grosse Pointe, clearly along the same vein. I had thought that this movie would have been kinda like the Nick Cage "War" movie, but it was completely different. It is hilarious, especially in its subtleties (references to "former VP" who works for a defense contractor, haha, we know who that's about - as well as who wrote the book in the gift bag). And I never would have guessed that Hillary Duff could really act. I had no idea it was her until the end credits. I liked this movie so much, I'll probably add it to my buy on DVD list (used, of course - new price for movies is ridiculous).

Max Payne - Ok, a dud. Such a dud, I admit that I didn't even finish it. Hard to follow and a bit too much violence, even for me. Maybe it got better, but I couldn't get through half.

Capitalism - A Love Story - Yeah, more left-wing political propoganda from Michael Moore. Still, he makes some good points. I definitely liked the parallels at the beginning between ancient Rome and present day USA, kindof scary and something worth considering. I also liked the additional info on TARP, which frankly I didn't know (yeah, I need to read more). I thought it was right to point out that the source of the US' current economic crises really had its origins back with Ronnie Regan and his deregulation crusade. Seriously, people are really upset that Obama couldn't fix the problems that have been growing since the 80s, only coming to fruition and collapse now, 20 years later, in less than 2 years and that's the reason they want to give the country back to the right-wing nut jobs in the Tea Party? Give the man a chance people! As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day, and the rebuilding of the civilization took a bit longer after its collapse. He's working towards solutions, but it takes time. He also has it a hell of a lot harder than say Roosevelt or Johnson, who didn't have to contend with the significant partisanship that exists today. Not to mention the greed that certain financial industries have grown to expect and do their damnedest to maintain. I seriously hope MM does a movie on the Tea Party next.


Shrek IV - Wow, a new movie. I took the girls to see this after Cami's Pre-K graduation (and it starts). Cute story, despite a lot of plot holes. The 3D stuff was kindof cool, though I seriously don't want to see it in Every. Single. Movie., the outrageous price notwithstanding (and it was outrageous). Better than III, but still not as good as I or even II. Unless you have kids that have to see it, wait for the DVD.

No comments: