Wednesday, September 16, 2009

In the Middle

Well, I guess I've officially reached "middle age" at 45. Some might say I reached it a few years ago, but I'm holding out for a longer life. I spotted a few gray hairs finally, so its time to start coloring. I'm not going to look any older than I am, and I'd prefer to look a bit younger, given that my hubby is several years behind me, and my kids aren't even in grade school yet. I haven't colored my hair since college, when I did the lightening thing to be a blonde. That was easy though, I just sprayed some stuff in my hair and used a blow drier. This time, will be a little more time intensive and messy, but will have more immediate results.

Time has really flown by. I still feel like a teenager (or at least college age) sometimes. I still love the music I listened to back then and like a decent amount of newer music. I'm not completely at the cutting edge of tech (I have a very simple cell phone and no ipod - although I do want to get one), but I'm not too far behind. I'm pretty internet savvy, on facebook, and keep up with on-line gaming. I'd be more up to date if I had more time. I've got a small/simple mp3 player, but just haven't had the time to download songs from CDs into it. I know I should just try and do a few a day, but even that much seems to take too much time.

I know its not going to get too much better either. Even once the kids are old enough to get themselves out of bed, dressed and breakfasted (hah, I know even teenagers have problems doing this), then I'll be shuttling them to afterschool/weekend programs, supervising/helping with homework, and attending school functions. And trying to do all that while still working full time, cooking meals (at least the kids can help with other chores), and trying to keep up with my own entertainment of on-line games and TV programs. Its times like these when I think about how lucky my mom was that her job as a teacher provided her with at least a bit more flexibility in having afterschool time available, not to mention summers off.

Maybe work will lighten up (yeah, unlikely too much), or maybe we'll eventually make enough money to hire some help (a bi-weekly maid would be nice). I know that in a couple of years, when some bills are paid off and the monthly daycare expenses stop (although at least part of that will go to other kid-care, at least during the summer), our finances will be better. And it will probably be nice to have one summer where the kids spend it with the French family.

But for now, everything keeps me quite busy. Definitely looking forward to the (hopefully) two week Christmas holiday with the French.

No comments: